As America rearms for the annual War on Christmas™, a new study from the University of British Columbia provides some fresh ammunition to fuel the Yule Logs of War™. The study of 350 American adults and 420 Canadian university students shows that many theists believe atheists are about as trustworthy as rapists and would outright discriminate against them in several ways. However, atheists don’t seem to harbor a corresponding distrust of theists.
Poobah Self Disclosure: I’m an atheist. You may be a Christian…not that there’s anything wrong with that.
America is an unhappy place these days. Opposing forces not only bludgeon each other bloody, but as Mitch McConnell recently announced, they make it a political priority to wipe out their opposition like Genghis Kahn scorching the earth of the steppes. Nowhere is this fighting as pointless and picayunish as in the Secular v. Non Secular Death Cage Match.
As a rule of thumb Republicans are the logical home of the stupidly religiously zealous. Folks like the Family Research Council, Glenn Beck, and loopy Michele Bachmann trumpet vuvuzela the superiority of the God-ed while practicing the most shockingly unchristian behavior against the ungod-ed. Even their captive audience of soft-headed, opportunistic political drones have trouble with them – especially when they stop donating money and votes.
The religious zealots have a huge David and Goliath thing going on. “Dear God, give me a slingshot and guide mine rock into the eye of my Godless oppressors, the libruls.”
But fundamentalists have no lock on the asshat zealot market. Stop by a Jesus Freakery and read the comments. Go to a Atheisterie and the words seem plagiarized from the same source, “You’re a know-nothing asshole who’s a traitor intent on wiping out what crumbs of democracy we still have left.”
And one more similarity. Almost all the over the top bloviation mentions how much anyone who disagrees is some sort of hate-filled, brainless zot – as though we’re all Little Georgie Shrubs.
Most Christians are reasonably sane and the same goes for the secular crowd. All the reasonable ask is a bit of wiggle room because they’re entitled to it. They want to go to church (or not), put up the occasional Christmas Holiday tree (or not), and be safe from the incessant yawping of people who would staple the 10 commandments to everyone’s forehead or consign religious gatherings to a dank cellar with the lights turned out – sort of an ecumenical Gitmo.
But out there on the dark edge of Firebase Freedom lurk nuts to the left of us and nuts to the right of us, as unreasonably pissed about the, “In God We Trust” motto as they are by the, “Christians über alles and the hell with anyone else” brigade.
The balance between freedom of religion and freedom from religion is delicate and a very narrow gap. One person’s “absolute” freedom is another’s horrible shackle.
As with all Constitutional rights, we don’t get to vote on them or change them at will to suit our fancy. However, there’s nothing wrong with a legitimate argument about where the line lays. But, meanness for the sake of meanness is meaningless, rude, and counter-productive.
So everyone, let’s kiss and make up so we can go back to something important, like hating Congress and the President.
You know, something useful.
- FYI – Religious Freedom In Indonesia. (jwitness.wordpress.com)
- U.S. claims restrictions on religious freedom in Azerbaijan. (jwitness.wordpress.com)
- Is ‘Freedom of Religion’ Necessary? (friendlyatheist.com)
- Do atheist activists poison everything? (barefootbum.blogspot.com)
- The Future of Secular Humanism (superscholar.org)
- The Forgotten “Social Issue” (thecynicalchristian.blogspot.com)
- Middle East Christians are told to embrace secularist drive | Austen Ivereigh (guardian.co.uk)
- -What’s the Difference: ‘Freedom of Religion’ vs. ‘Freedom of Worship’ (answersforthefaith.com)
- I Get Email (spaninquis.wordpress.com)
- The Secular Donation Box (andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com)
- Religion: A Peril for Jews: Secularism (time.com)
- Who persecutes believers? Other believers (liberalconspiracy.org)
- Landmarks in the Critical Study of Secularism (3quarksdaily.com)
- Rick Santorum: DADT is Part of a Secularist Plot to Push Religion Out of the Public Square (crooksandliars.com)
- Spiritual Life of an Atheist: Values Matter, Not Belief – Lessons From A Second Viewing of Avatar (sannejohnson.wordpress.com)
- Call to ban school assemblies by secularists who claim ‘Christian character’ infringes children’s human rights (dailymail.co.uk)