As America rearms for the annual War on Christmas™, a new study from the University of British Columbia provides some fresh ammunition to fuel the Yule Logs of War™. The study of 350 American adults and 420 Canadian university students shows that many theists believe atheists are about as trustworthy as rapists and would outright discriminate against them in several ways. However, atheists don’t seem to harbor a corresponding distrust of theists.
Tag: Holidays (Page 1 of 2)
There’s Something ‘Special’ About Christmas Holidays
- 8 Christmas Gifts That Will Make Grandma Hate You
- The Most Awkward Family Thanksgiving Photos Ever
- Gift Idea: Pet Petter
- Gift Idea: Male Testicular Anatomy Model
- It’s beginning to eel a lot like Christmas
- Fu@k You If You Don’t Like Christmas
- Gift Idea: Teasing Tighty Whities
- Gift Idea: Special Scissors
Hmmm, How ‘Bout That?
- Researchers Find a ‘Liberal Gene’
- The hidden meaning of toilets
- Funky Forest – Wanna Go For A Drink? (Gabriel Zolman)
- Foie gras burger blurs fast food and fine dining
- Count me in! Do you take plastic?
- Extreme Shaving
- 30 Funny Fail Sites
- Phallic Congratulatory Cards
- Wafaa Balil is a Walking Tripod
- War Machines: Recruiting Robots for Combat
- Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
- WheeMe: A Bodily Pleasure Robot
- Real Robot Pals
- Top 10 Freaky Robots
Using Losing Your Noodle
- Police say killings were over baby name
- Video Barbie Gets FBI Warning: ‘Possible Child Pornography Production Method’
- ‘The Beaver’ Trailer: Mel Gibson’s Comeback Movie?
- The 18 Craziest Naked Women In News Report History
- Penis Gun (The Aristocrats)
- 10 Most Erotic Sculptures
- 12 Nerd Porn Parodies
- 1 Man, 1 Vacuum (Barry White Award Winner: Best Music in a Comedy Video)
- 10 Bizarrely Hilarious Fetishes
- The Disturbing World Of Dickflash.com
- Kardashians Talk Putting Mayo On Privates
Say Hello to the Land of the Rising Sun
- More Randomness (omnipotentpoobah.com)
- The best of Julian Ass (the fake Julian Assange) (newstatesman.com)
- Dollish little girls make photos look creepy (planetoddity.com)
- They Can’t Find a Photo for Julian Assange? (lockergnome.com)
- Meat Loaf: I Want To Cut Off Julian Assange’s Toes (minx.cc)
- Baron Bob Gift Crusader is Dreaming of a Tighty Whitey Christmas (prweb.com)
For a group of people who regularly brag about their strength and moral superiority, these people are some of the most self-righteous, creme brulee-spined I’ve ever seen. In their headlong rush to see imagined slights behind every scotch pine, they – as they quite often do – forget several pertinent facts.
Christians make up 70-80% of the American population, yet they are so offended by people saying Happy Holidays they boycott any business bold enough to challenge their God’s alleged right to drive everyone else from the manger on the public square.
This seems a bit odd since their claim to rightness rests on their Big Kahuna, a force so powerful He can smite those who quibble with him like squashing a bug or a Muslim underfoot. If He’s so offended, why don’t Christians celebrate the annual cleansing of heathens by hell-fire, brimstone, and 50% off sales at Macy’s instead of Christmas? Where the hell is the perpetual lightning storm they keep predicting will come?
Their position on this is that Christmas is their holiday and that since they are the predominate religion – let’s call this the “American is a Christian Nation” gambit – no one has the right to say Happy Holidays, even if by ‘holidays’ they mean multiple Christian holidays.
More Christian Holidays Than You Can Swing Incense At
But here’s the thing. The American calendar allocates more days to Christians than any other religion. Of course, you have the Big 3 religious holidays – Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. You also have – depending on the year – roughly 52 Sundays a year, and if you’re Catholic a similar number of Long John Silver’s Fridays. When you throw in minor Christiancentric days, like Ash Wednesday, Fat Tuesday, Palm Sunday, and all the lesser Saint, crab feed, and spaghetti dinner days , most of the days already belong to Christians. They get 364 days a year to hog all the food and fellowship and have crab boils, spaghetti dinners, bean dinners, and bingo.
If they had their way, Jews, Muslims, Wiccans and all the other religious and irreligious would get bupkis, including having Christmas and Thanksgiving as a plain old day off , “NO TIME OFF FOR YOU! Make a hole, manger coming through! Stop stealing my tax money you heathen!”
I guess someone has to work the Black Friday, 3 am doorbuster shift at Walmart, because Christian Conspicuous Consumption day seems to be popular – some might even say holy – with the Jesus sect.
Commandment 11 – thou shalt buy a 51-inch plasma HD-TV marked down 50%.
Even if the common fundamentalist complaint that there is unwarranted government interference in their lives, the rest of us could make the same argument.
Christians are free to pray, celebrate, sing hymns, and have as many cheesy midnight Christmas Eve pageants as they like. Besides, BONUS, it keeps the little Christian whelps off the street where they may run across a stray socialist bully who will beat them like a rug.
Christians Already Rule the Roost
Christians already rule the roost. They are the predominate faith of the country, as they point out with the frequency of parrots on truth serum. All the rest of use ask is that we can call a holiday a holiday.
Look my fine biblical friends, if being able to squat on the taxpayer-funded public square is so evil, why don’t the majority Christian legislators rise up against the Goliath atheists and Ramadan-celebrating Muslims and smite the Constitutional law – that document to which these Americans pledge fealty only second than they do to the Bible.
Even as an atheist I could care less whether Christians return an innocent pleasantry like “Happy Holidays” with a rude punch in the pickle and a reminder that, “It’s Christmas dammit you scummy heathen” – so long as the pickle they’re punching isn’t mine.
I don’t begrudge them “In God we Trust”, because a buck is a buck…and when you throw into the collection plate it’s prelabeled so God can tell it’s his.
I don’t even care if you pray in school. All I ask is that you do it quietly on your own time because tuition is getting too damned expensive and, as you like to remind me, it’s time to root out fraud and inefficiency from America’s educational system – sort of a no deity left behind thing.
So go ahead and grumble about your persecution. Say Merry Christmas, even on Independence Day if you want. Truthfully, I don’t care. I’m more secure in my atheism than you appear to be in your Christianity. I love you as I would my brother, even though I don’t subscribe to the book advising so therein. But sometimes brothers need a little cuff behind the ear and some tough love. So here it is:
For Christ’s sake, er, goodness sake, stop you incessant whining about an imagined etymological affront. It’s peanuts beside a guy dragging a cross around, wearing rose bush thorns on his head, and telling the nitwits pounding 10-pennies into his palms, “Here, let me help you with that.”
- War on Christmas (psychologytoday.com)
- Who’s Winning The War On Christmas? (firedoglake.com)
- a new not-Christmas song by Paul Simon (from his forthcoming album “So Beautiful Or So What”) (MP3) (brooklynvegan.com)
- C*****mas! (dickiebo.wordpress.com)
- Chilliwack trustees ice ‘winter vacation,’ opt for Christmas holidays (globaltvbc.com)
- How long have you really got to create a memorable Christmas this year? [Richard Mr Productivity Maybury] (ecademy.com)
- Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol is Coming! (blogcritics.org)
- No truce in ‘war on Christmas’ (dispatch.com)