The Barack Obama faithful are enthusiastically lining up behind their man even as a healthy heap of Democrats and moderates are either going elsewhere or sitting on the fence. It’s early yet, but polls already show Obama making few inroads against a gaff-prone, non-committal, out of touch boob of a pandermeister. That is not a good thing, early or not.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. The Care Bear-in-Chief made an ill-advised move to put the hammer – or more like a feather – down on SCOTUS. The hyperbole begins. Charges of “playing politics” fly from the mouths of some of the most partisan politicos the world has ever seen. It’s just another shite-storm in Rancorstan.
If there’s one year-end task that’s most difficult, it must be compiling the many Most of the Year, Best of the Year, Stupidest of the Year lists. Let’s face it, the modern world is a target-rich environment of cheese. Americans – especially those whom Fox News makes stupid – are addicted to these things. It gives everyone the chance to voice the opinion that whoever picked the list is a dead-wrong ass cake and there’s nothing Americans like more than eating their ass cake and having it too.
BTW, Mark Zuckerman as Time’s Man of the Year? Puhleeze! Either of the LoJoHos – LiLo or ScarJo – would be better choices. Then again, Zuckerman would easily win a contest against Kim Kardashian as Biggest Ass of the Year so everything evens out.
But the hardest of the hard, (Actually, that could be a spectacular list too…may I nominate Ron Jeremy?) is bipartisan PolitiFact’s choice of Lie of the Year. Damn! These guys are brave. The balls of a Wall Street bull, or at least the balls of a Wall Street CEO! As outrageous as Tony Hayward equipped with a microphone.
So without further ado – drum roll please – PolitiFact’s 2010’s Lie of the Year is… A government takeover of health care!
(Sound of crickets…)
A government takeover of health care? Of all the stupid, idiotic, patently false utterances of 2000-fricking-10, that was the best you could come up with? For Chrissakes, you couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting a lie this year. There was an election dammit! There wasn’t an election ad during the entire race that didn’t kill a hard-on with its lies.
Still, the PolitiFact’s survey did speak a truth. It recognized that in a lying-ass bumper crop of a lying year there were clear winners and those clear winners where The Party Couldn’t Talk Straight™.
It’s not that Democrats didn’t spout their own share of truthiness and bald face lies, they just used a little more finesse – sort of putting a little English on the 8-ball to grab defeat from the jaws of victory. When Republicans smacked Dems in the face with the Putrid Mackerel of Lying Bay™, the Democrats most often just genuflected and said, “Thank you sir, may I have another?”
Ten minutes later Fox News would cut in with breaking news. “Hey Brian. Republican Minority God, Mitch McConnell, has just announced that Democrats tried to coerce him into a sexually deviant behavior called, um, I’m not sure how to pronounce the word…bipartisanship – I’ll just use gay for short so as not to confuse our viewers. He said he only escaped by fighting off the gang of socialist zombies by beating them with his new $1500 wingtip shoes. After the break, we’ll go to Fox and Friends to report more details and you’ll decide they are the God’s honest truth. Back to you Gretchen!”
PolitiFacts, thanks for giving it the old college try.
- “Government Takeover Of Health Care” Is PolitiFact’s Lie Of The Year (mediaite.com)
- The Lie of the Year (washingtonmonthly.com)
- PolitiFact: Sanders telling the truth on vast income inequality (dailykos.com)
- PolitiFact: Truth Is Out There, Barely (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- The Most and Least Honest Pundits (Hint: Don’t Believe Glenn Beck) (dailyfinance.com)
- Think Fast …thinkprogress (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Fox ‘straight news’ reporter James Rosen raises laughable Obama ‘security’ concern, lies about Obama’s promises (crooksandliars.com)
- It’s A Fact: Fox News Makes You Stupid (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Study confirms FOX News makes you stupid (nowpublic.com)
- The Crying Game (crooksandliars.com)
- Ron Jeremy Web Redemption with tosh.0 (ronjeremy.com)
- Palin Doubles Down on “Death Panels” (alternet.org)
- Was Health Bill a ‘Government Takeover’? (blogs.wsj.com)