Racism in America, land of the free and home of the intransigent. Every word, every action– no matter the subject or size — brings a great gnashing of the national dentures. Understanding, compassion, or any emotion other than hate is not just difficult to find, it is extinct.
The latest weirdness is Oprah Winfrey’s $38,000 purse. Considering 98% of the world can’t imagine $38,000 for food and the remaining 2% have skewed priorities, a fight between a Swiss clerk and a woman with more money and power than God hardly qualifies as a realistic stand-in for international racism.
Was the clerk a racist? Quite possibly. She might be a stone cold neo-nazi, but there isn’t a shred of evidence to suggest or disprove it. There is only “she said, she said.” Should she have politely gotten the purse for Oprah? Undoubtedly. That is what good customer service is about. But being an asscake about it doesn’t prove racism either.