Back when the Gulf Oil Disaster was only an oily sheen in the public’s eye, White House flak Robert Gibbs pledged the Obamites would, “keep a boot on the throat” of BP to ensure they did what they repeatedly have pledged – “do the right thing”.
At the time, the Conservasphere went ballistic at the White House employing such, “over heated rhetoric, half-truths, and down right distortions” to hold BP accountable. I experienced some of the same vitriol from free marketeers for my post, “The Gulf of Gelatinous Goo and the Tarball Etouffee” and I saw several other similar posts and comment threads too. The fact that Obama’s jackboot to the throat turned out to be more like a stomp administered by a 6-year old using her Hello Kitty flip flops doesn’t seem to have mattered much.
BP Overcome By a Huge Run of Bad Luck
The long and short of the free market cum Teabagger rhetoric revolved around the curious opinion that BP – apparently like every other corporation on the planet – was merely a good corporate citizen overcome by a huge run of bad luck, over-regulation, and the public’s unreasonable desire to dismantle the American economic system oil barrel by oil barrel. In other words, BP was getting a raw deal and if only left alone, would use a firm, earnest handshake and the power of the marketplace to correct and fully atone for what it had wrought.
So how’s that working out for you guys now?
Let’s forget for the moment that Tony “I Want My Life Back” Hayward more than rivalled Gibbs’ words in their dumbness and sometimes faux harshness. Let’s forget that BP wouldn’t know a promise from an oily pelican. Let’s even forget that the sheer grandiosity of BP’s ineptitude makes Bush’s Iraq and Afghanistan war performances look like the 30-day cake walks that was promised.
But, BP isn’t alone in its ineptitude. Almost every day we’re treated to a story about how the administration has colluded with the British Pissants to make the hook from which they should be hung as small and painless as possible. Or even better, not even force the skeevy bastards to look at it for fear of hurting their delicate sensibilities.
America Doesn’t Torture
Remember, America doesn’t torture, especially when you’re a big campaign contributor.
There is a lesson here, as expensive, horrible, and demoralizing it may be. Never put all of your faith in the much vaunted private sector to correct anything beyond the underpayment of the CEO’s last quarterly bonus. They will rob you blind and then make you apologize for the robbery…for a fee.
There’s another lesson too. Never put all your faith in government. It’s a publicly held sausage maker using cast-off oil corporate chitlins for ingredients and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of We the People (Very) LLP, but entirely financed by its board of private-sector directors.
Of course, there are sops to those gullible enough to believe that mere words would mean jack-shit in the scheme of things. We still get daily news briefings designed to suck the truly naive and daft into the market uber alles mentality. And yes, our iron-willed-willed Congress is looking for truth, justice, and the American way, but I’d lay a bet that the only malfeasance they’ll find is why a kangaroo “BP Squad” was empaneled to begin with.
As a nation, we’d better have some healthy mistrust for our chosen BFFs – government and private – and look at things realistically.
What better way than to lace up the truly independent jackboots and do some ass kickin’?
- White House turns up heat on BP with flurry of new demands (independent.co.uk)
- Robert Gibbs Criticizes BP, Won’t Answer If White House Trusts The Company (huffingtonpost.com)
- Obama to meet oil rig relatives (news.bbc.co.uk)
- “Gump” Gibbs: Boot on Throat of BP -AP video (chicagoraysrants.com)
- Coast Guard: BP cap collects 15,000 barrels a day (marketwatch.com)
- Robert Gibbs, Along With Everyone Else, Is Not Feeling ‘Overly Sorry’ For BP CEO Tony Hayward (mediaite.com)
- DAVID BRODER | A Warning on Loose Lips (kitsapsun.com)
- BP well responsibilities ‘must come first’ (bbc.co.uk)
- “People are Dying!” but Don’t Ask Questions (grantlawrence.blogspot.com)
- Robert Gibbs Answers Gulf Coast Oil Spill Questions on YouTube (mediabistro.com)
- Latest developments on the Gulf oil disaster (cnn.com)
- White House warns BP on possible CEO change (alternet.org)
- Tony Schwartz: Tony Hayward is the Identified Patient (huffingtonpost.com)
- SNP and BP = SNBP? A Libya and UK masterstroke? (politics.ie)
- BP’s Tony Hayward gets exiled to Siberia (salon.com)