As America rearms for the annual War on Christmas™, a new study from the University of British Columbia provides some fresh ammunition to fuel the Yule Logs of War™. The study of 350 American adults and 420 Canadian university students shows that many theists believe atheists are about as trustworthy as rapists and would outright discriminate against them in several ways. However, atheists don’t seem to harbor a corresponding distrust of theists.
The extent to which you believe the study likely hinges on the larger battle at the center of the schism – God or science.
I suspect a rather large group holding Santoran or Bachmannite (BTW, note the change on Michele’s mug change when she hears the question on the video) views of gay rights or sex might not cotton to the study’s less-than-charitable view or them.
On the other hand, atheists will likely trumpet the scientific view of this and other studies – probably doomed to failure when dealing with people who believe the Earth is 4,000 years old. Let’s face it, there are zealots on both sides of the argument and other than the certitude of each camp’s beliefs that’s unlikely to change.
Come on, it’s Christmas or the holidays, Kwanzaa or Eid al-Adha, Chanukkah or any one of dozens of secular and non-secular holidays. How about we all just leave the choice of what we want to call it and whether others invoke God often enough? Let’s call a Christmas truce and stop saying “they” are evil.
With all the other ills we face, we could really use some peace on Earth for a change.
- The Omnipotent Poobah Speaks About Civil Rights, Religion, and Politics (omnipotentpoobah.com)
- Christmas Eve: Dec. 24 (lifeinliturgy.wordpress.com)
- Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Kwanzaa (greateratlantametrohomebuyersrealtor.wordpress.com)
- There is a god, and His name is Allah: My personal gift to Atheists & Anti-Theists: (garethbryant.wordpress.com)
- Why Catholics Should Not Participate in Kwanzaa: The Daniel Standard (k2globalcommunicationsllc.wordpress.com)
- KWANZAA: Legitimate Religious Holiday or Political Marxist Agenda? (clove0771.wordpress.com)
- Happy Holidays! (kaleidoscopeseasons.com)
- New holiday stamps for Christmas, Eid, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Kwanzaa Principles (mademan.com)
- Nina In New York: On ‘The Holidays’ (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Cornwall Public Schools, New York: So You Think Your Childs Mind is Safe in Public School? (k2globalcommunicationsllc.wordpress.com)