Once upon a time, a day with earthquakes, nuclear meltdowns, government shutdowns, and wars sprouting like deadly nightshade would’ve been unthinkable. Today, it’s just another hum-drum, dog-bites-man day. That’s a whole lot of chaos and change going on and many of us react more profoundly to it.
Researchers at the College of London say conservatives and liberals have physically different brain structures and it’s not the first study to reach similar conclusions. Perhaps this is the reason – in a government designed around healthy debate – the two sides can’t agree on whether that smoke they see is from a damaged nuclear facility, greenhouse gasses, or fat CEO bonuses. Moderates just scream, “DO SOMETHING!” on commercial breaks during Dancing with the Stars – couch potato government by TV remote at its best.
Despite my usual rabidly left-wing screeds, my responses are generally calmer and more conciliatory in comments. I hunger for a day when I can express my opinion without being called a communist traitor, even though the traitor label is now worn like a Tea Bagger lapel pin among the conservative set. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but on the whole everyone gets dumped on.
I’ve noticed my more rigid migration stage-left in response to attempts to roll the nation back to an idealized 1950s, some would say 1850s, because of unrelenting pressure to move right. Uber-Conservatives have taken the reigns of power as if they are the majority, becoming a juggernaut of fear, over-simplistic thinking, and downright political lunacy. Anyone who thinks Glen Beck is “fair and balanced” clearly has a conservative brain area the size of a pea – a pea that goes all Where’s Waldo? in a shell game.
It’s becoming increasingly difficult to avoid becoming a total jackwad and attacking every conservative ideologue just on the basis that they breathe. There are more days I reach for the remote and find its dead batteries were made by unionized Chinese prison labor.
Conservatives have lost the ability to make a reasoned argument about anything. Their fantasy world is a place where gays marrying, gays in the military (in fact, just plain gays) are “jamming” something down their throats – pun intended. Despite living in states that make federal decisions look like products of reasonable compromises, their solution is to push everything to a local level populated by the world’s biggest cast of nincompoops and crooked grifters . Despite much experience with their personal checkbooks, their world is a place where one crawls out of a financial hole carried on tax rates like Namibia’s and shocking notions that the market cures all and corporations always make decisions in the nation’s interests.
At the risk of a different, uber-liberal ideology, what the hell is wrong with you people?
- George Soros _ How Much Is Enough For This Man? (via Conservatives on Fire) (loopyloo305.wordpress.com)
- Glen Beck Leaving FoxNews, At Least As Daily TV Host; Will Instead Produce Occasional Shows (minx.cc)
- Response To Jackwad Liberals On The Hive (unclesamsboot.wordpress.com)
- Glen Beck to Be Gone from Fox: When Money Trumps Free Speech (themoderatevoice.com)
- Extra! Extra! Read all about it…Glenn Beck backs President Obama (nozynelly.wordpress.com)
- Glenn Beck is a Traitor, Alex Jones is a Patriot (disquietreservations.blogspot.com)
- NationalJournal.com – Most Conservative Members Of Congress – Thursday, February 24, 2011 (beetljooz.wordpress.com)
- This is Your Brain on Fox (nosacredc0w.wordpress.com)
- Conservative? Liberal? Study Says It’s All In Your Head (Brain, Actually) (mediaite.com)
- Liberal vs. conservative: Who has better brain? (cbsnews.com)