So the Party of No has suddenly become the party of simpering “Judicial Activists”. Those paragons of the rule of law – represented by their Sharia-like interpretation of the Constitution – Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-Nelly Bottom) and Jon Kyle (R-Independent Duchy of Arizona), are yapping about repealing the 14th Amendment (the one giving citizenship to babies born in this country).
There’s no legitimate argument that numerous administrations and Congresses from both parties haven’t ignored immigration reform. Performance on the issue has been on par with the handling of Katrina and is well past due. But rewriting the Constitution to do something you’re too weak-willed to do honestly is a tad disingenuous. You can’t just constantly carp about a strict interpretation of the Constitution 250-years removed from its writing and then just argue to rewrite it if something is giving you political heartburn.
Many people don’t think women are capable of anything, including voting. Why not just repeal the Franchise? Heck, “We’re at war dammit! Let’s repeal the First Amendment because the teabagger’s public statements are offensive.” And that whole habeas corpus thing is a real patriotism buzz kill. Let’s get rid of that too. This is not a case of racism, it’s a case of “Stupidism”.
It’s time for the immigrati to take a dip in the Rio Grande and start dealing with the problem rationally instead of like Lou Dobbs on a Red Bull bender. It’s this type of squeaky wheelism that built the Fence to Nowhere – America’s very own Maginot Line. This thinking led to an Arizona law that essentially requires police to do what they were already able to do voluntarily and does nothing to solve the problem.
The people of this country want solutions to problems, not a bunch of bickering over who is an opportunistic crapweasel looking for votes or who is a racist. There are a number of actions that could be taken with simple discussions by honest negotiators. Others would take a little negotiation. And, there are still others that will only be done by inflicting pain. But have no question. We do have a place to start.
So Gov. Tea Brewer get on with something useful. Jon and Lindsey, stop trying to throw the (immigrant) baby out with the bathwater. And Messiah, get off your duff, corral those cats that pass for a political party, and fix the problem.
We the people thank you.
- Lou Dobbs: GOP Has “Gone Too Far” On Immigration (outsidethebeltway.com)
- The Dred Scott Republicans (crooksandliars.com)
- MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough Ridicules ‘My Party,’ Lectures GOP on Immigration (newsbusters.org)
- 10 Reasons Why Republicans Want to Repeal Birthright Citizenship (race.change.org)
- Elizabeth Bisbee Silber: Birthright Citizenship and the Modern Day Know Nothings (huffingtonpost.com)
- Baby-Dropping Immigrant Women Targeted By Republicans [Bordercrossing] (jezebel.com)
- If Only The Right Would Leave The Constitution Alone, Cont’d (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Tell the GOP to Stop Hating Brown Babies (immigration.change.org)