You can’t swing a dead pelican without hitting gross incompetence and malfeasance in the Gulf these days. BP is the most aggressively ignorant corporation on the face of the planet and the Feds have their noses so far up Tony Hayward’s poop chute it will require major surgery to remove them. Hence, some people wonder whether this is Barack Obama’s “Katrina moment”.
What a stupid question.
There are only two things that separate Obama’s oily hurricane from Bush’s merely windy kind – the human death toll is smaller and Obama actually made a speech accepting “responsibility” for getting the mess fixed. That’s a refreshing change from the man who could do no wrong, but the results are, sadly, the same.
On one level it doesn’t matter who’s in charge. There may be no way to plug the leak because a way may not exist. That’s what happens when you allow the free marketeers to write their own regulations, hire a bunch of sex-crazed crackheads to monitor them, and allow BP to act as though the rest of us are a bunch of whining pussies afraid of a little aioli crude on their seafood.
That said, there’s still plenty for St. Barry of Change to do. There should be no more of this politely asking BP to produce key data as though the we hate to intrude on their elite garden party. Using the Coast Guard to keep the world from seeing just how poorly the Coasties are guarding the coast should be equally verboten. And, no more of this limp-wristed enforcement that allows BP to do whatever the hell they want, whenever the hell they want either.
There’s only one thing arrogantly crapulent people like Tony Haward understand – brute force.
Obama’s job is to tell BP to jump and when they ask how high, offer them a size 13 boot liberally applied to their well-padded asses by way of explanation. To hell with the Republicans whimpering about shakedowns and stomping competition under the jackboot of anti-corporate fascism (or Communism, they never seem to know the difference). And, to hell with the deregulationists who got us here in the first place. In fact, if there was ever a case for lacing up the jackboots this is it.
And while you have them down, kick them hard and repeatedly.
Mr. Obama, the buck may stop with you, but you have to have the backbone to spend it.
- Obama looks at restoring Gulf Coast over long term (reuters.com)
- Marist Poll: Obama’s Handling of Oil Spill (realclearpolitics.blogs.time.com)
- Talk Radio Host Urges Followers To File BP Claims: “Be As Vague As You Can” (alan.com)
- You: Coast Guard Adjusts After Spill Estimate Rises (nytimes.com)
- BP attempts to clean up its image amid reports of corners cut (independent.co.uk)
- BP Takes Responsibility For US Spill Clean-Up (news.sky.com)
- BP oil spill costs up to $2.65bn (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Scott Dodd: VIDEO: Rescuers Try to Save Gulf Pelicans Covered in Oil (huffingtonpost.com)
- “BP boss admits job on the line over Gulf oil spill” and related posts (luishipolito.blogspot.com)
- BP Villain Gets Outta Dodge With Tight Security (tmz.com)
- Cheers and Jeers: Wednesday (dailykos.com)
- BP executives to face grillings (ftalphaville.ft.com)
- Jackass BP CEO: “The Gulf is a Big Ocean” (grantlawrence.blogspot.com)
- Hayward: BP Could Have Done More (online.wsj.com)
- BP payout may be $34 billion (americablog.com)
- Newt Gingrich Defends Using Nazi Card Against Obama (themoderatevoice.com)
- GOP Defending BP: Cutting Off Their Heads To Spite Their Necks (alan.com)
- Robert L. Cavnar: BP’s Dudley Implicitly Supports Deepwater Moratorium (huffingtonpost.com)
- ‘Ass-Kicking’ as an Influence Strategy (businessweek.com)